אולטימייט? או דיסקגולף? LOL

הכל על גולף

מנהל: אחראי DiscGolf

אולטימייט? או דיסקגולף? LOL

הודעהעל ידי צבי טף » א' ינואר 29, 2012 1:13 am

ליונל היה בארץ חודש שעבר - שחקן אולטימייט ודיסקגולף טוב:

[ltr]ubject: Re: Running DG! -New course - 18 holes (+3 round) in 27 minutes! YEEEEEHHHAAAAH!

Running Disc Golf? No way.

Where is the leisurely stroll and peaceful non sticky male bonding, discussions on flight characteristics of various discs, sipping from your beer, calm visualisation of your next drive, arguments over who goes first?
Dudes I know It sounds like an abomination! But consider this. What if you are in training for a nationals frisbee tournament and you have to run? Never mind tournaments, what if you want to get fit? Would you rather jog along doing nothing or throw a disc and run? It's a no brainer.

Nick Langley and I met to try it out yesterday, what an experience, it was hilarious, enervating, joyful, we both agreed that we had so much fun that we never want to go on a normal run again! We also considered that when we get fitter we can foresee the time when we will be doing 36 holes in under an hour. We are thinking about a fun way of making it competitive, playing the shots you take up against the time you take.

Let me describe it.

6 PM- Orange light, pretty sky, We teed off alternately, Nick went wide and I landed 20 metres from the basket, We started running simultaneously disc or two in each hand and no other baggage, due to my more direct drive I pulled ahead and parred after a good approach, immediately breaking into a run for the next T,.Nick bogeyed behind me but was hot on my heels, at the T I dropped my discs and drove for basket number two, realising that the time taken to finish watching the flight of the disc and then picking up the discs had allowed Nick to catch up. Clearly if you throw properly you run less and are quicker to reach the basket. I took off like a baited hare but peeled off to the right when Nick bellowed "FORE" I needn't have worried, he put a perfect forehand drive just behind the tree. (we agreed later that if you hit your fellow player you lose the game). It was at that point I realised how important it was to mark your disk properly as I lost precious seconds searching for it - I parred and he bogied again but we were neck and neck. This time we both drove almost simultaneously for basket 3 but I kept my disks in hand and ran the moment I was finished, Nick turned to pick up his discs and I gained a few meters which I badly needed due to the fact that he is fitter than me(but not prettier).

At T 3 we both looked at each other and the words fun, awesome were used in between some heavy breathing which was caused by the exertion and not the fact that we were looking at each other, the fun was magnified for me by a good drive and a birdie put, Nick bogeyed sitting at plus three. heh heh. the long hole four saw him bogey again and I parred but he had pulled ahead, I birdied the short hole for what was a great start, wow, minus two and Nick was on plus three, loser. That's when it all started to go wrong for me, by hole 10 I was two over and he was getting the occasional birdie, he also seemed to be graciously waiting for the panting old man to catch up. By hole 17 we were neck and neck but Nick bogeyed on 18 so I pipped him at the post but he was definitely faster than me. We ran back to the car to check the time, less than half an hour, there was still light enough to do another 18 holes, NOT.....yet.

Thanks Nick for being so gung ho and such a flying disc enthusiast. My first running disc golf experience will never be forgotten.

Fuck yeah! the next running DG session is next tuesday 5.45 PM, and then the next Thursday at the same time. Come train with us!

Oh.. see you on Sunday morning for a "normal" round. Look forward to it.

Regards

Lionel[/ltr]
סמל אישי של המשתמש
צבי טף

הודעות: 987
הצטרף: ו' מאי 28, 2004 2:07 pm
מיקום: כרמיאל

Re: אולטימייט? או דיסקגולף? LOL

הודעהעל ידי oferher » א' ינואר 29, 2012 10:52 am

חשבתי על זה בעבר, זה יכול להיות כל כך כיף...

כשיהיה לנו מגרש קבוע, אני בטוח שאנסה את זה (אלא אם אני אהיה זקן מידי בשביל לרוץ).
סמל אישי של המשתמש
oferher

הודעות: 461
הצטרף: ה' יולי 27, 2006 1:55 am
מיקום: באר שבע

Re: אולטימייט? או דיסקגולף? LOL חלק 2

הודעהעל ידי צבי טף » ד' פברואר 01, 2012 2:19 pm

[ltr]I was wondering if I was dreaming that this running disc golf thing was so much fun, I mean perhaps the no alcohol pact with Nick and Josh Murphy was causing a mental tilt. I think sobriety is definitely underrated as one of the best drugs around. The theory is sound, you know, forget the psychology bullshit, people take stuff to feel pleasure, ecstasy. So if you are sober you have a brain pan full of desperate neurons thrashing around searching for any path to euphoria and latching on to unlikely events like running and throwing a disc.

Good theory but the second disc running event proved my theory very wrong. How do we know? Well, we conducted a conclusive scientific test, we did the second disc running event with an individual who's, to put it politely, neurons have had no restrictions placed on them- in fact those lucky neurons are given free rein, no, actively encouraged to seek out pleasure wherever it may be found, obviously we are talking about the greatly loved, one and only, indomitable, doyen of discs, lion of zion, MR LIONEL LURIE!

This is his story- You really had to be there and words could never suffice but hear me out - Rules were simple, 1.5 minutes per hole allowed for a par round, (obviously each hole is a par 3) - Thats 27 minutes in total - if there are civilians/pedestrians you must either wait for them and lose time or accept a par for that hole and do short safe throws around the innocents
You add a shot to your score for every minute you are over the 27 minutes. You have a shot subtracted from your score for every minute you come in under 27 minutes, If you lose a disc your competition can help you find it if they choose but the disc loser drops a shot - all other disc golf rules apply.

Lurie arrived with a few misconceptions which involved carrying water with him in case he got thirsty, notions of fairness, we are not competing, this is just a jog, we don't care about winning -all of which were rudely dispelled once he made his first ( the last of our three drives at the first T) drive and no sooner had the disc left his fingers that Nick and I charged down the fairway in a flat out run, leaving him behind, problem is he had the best drive and had a birdy chance that outshone both our dodgy throws, the race was on! Reaching your disc, taking a split moment to marshall your senses and letting fly, running disc golf is all about the approaches, a good approach obviates the need for a risky long put, come to think about it the same applies to "normal" disk golf.

Hole two saw two semi reasonable drives from Nick and myself but the redoubtable Lurie gave himself another birdy opportunity with a great drive. Nick was already pulling ahead, but the bogey monster runs with him. Running disc golf seems to involve screams of joy and disappointment, some whooping, a lot of shouting, talking in gasping breaths, which brought us to nightmare hole 7 with multiple pedestrian involvement, This is the paradox we face, it's not an option to blast a disc and hope you won't hit anyone, if you wait you lose time but recover your breath which will mean being able to go faster later, also if you wait for all clear you also have a chance at a bird, if you choose to play around the pedestrians you can throw multiple throws ( as many as you want) until you reach the basket but you must score yourself a par. Nick and I chose to go with that option and did these little safe mini hucks through the populated area, people seemed amused by these panting, sweaty guys in baggy shorts with obsessed focused glares on their hapless discs. Lurie the strategist waited and when all was clear made another superb drive. After that it all became something of a blur, much like an enchanted dream of running in verdant green parks, setting sun, pink sky, the kaching of a disc landing in a basket. Mr Ryan Males once said something about the universe blessing the disc golfer, or being set up to support us, I echo those sentiments.

Towards the end Lurie was on a minus 2, I was minus 1 and Nick was so far ahead that nobody knew what he was on, he later told us the he kept mr bogey at bay with some astounding long forehand puts. I personally saw the gentleman Lurie wait patiently for some old folk to pass, they stopped right in his drive path to look at him and he was forced to ask "could you keep on walking"
A hole later he was hailed by two delightful old biddies walking huge fat dogs who wanted to talk to him, he ran on shouting "I'm sorry, I cant stop, I'm in a race!" - I think he was getting it!

He later told us that he started feeling tired but realised there were only two holes to go, so he rallied his strength, girded his loins and pushed on to the end finishing one minute over the 27 minutes par. Karma got him for ignoring the old ladies because he bogeyed the second last hole slipping back to -1 on his shots. So his whole round was a par round. I had a similar result because I was helped with finding a disc and speedy Nick was behind us by two shots. Karma got Lurie later because the old ladies caught up to us and very sweetly enlisted our involvement in "the delta park user group"
wherein we will be involved in an initiative to limit the mountain bikers access to the park, I saw the devil behind her sweet eyes when she kindly said " but the disc golfers are allowed to use the park" just then the universe proved it's support for us and showed anyone who thinks they can regulate nature and her children by causing one of her huge fat dogs to collapse against her leg almost knocking her over, thanks to a disc golfer's supporting hand she stayed upright until the waves of pain had subsided and then meekly limped off into the fading light. Classic!

Anyway the long and short of it was we weren't hallucinating - the neurons we were studying were expounding stuff like "proper jol" "firing on all cylinders" "pumped up" "in the zone"
I'm ashamed to say he even said "forget ultimate, do this twice a week and you will get proper fit"

Our next experimental study is on Marc Lewis who is coming this Thursday at 6PM, why don't you join us?

Regards

Lionel[/ltr]
סמל אישי של המשתמש
צבי טף

הודעות: 987
הצטרף: ו' מאי 28, 2004 2:07 pm
מיקום: כרמיאל

חזור אל דיסקגולף - שיחה חופשית

מי מחובר

משתמשים הגולשים בפורום זה: אין משתמשים רשומים ו 4 אורחים