Spirit of the Game

מה שבא בנושאי אולטימייט

מנהל: אחראי Ultimate

Spirit of the Game

הודעהעל ידי David Barkan » ב' נובמבר 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Ten Things You Should Know About Spirit of the Game?

Good to know and good to teach. DB

------------------

1. The golden rule: treat others as you would want to be treated.

Spirited games result from mutual respect among opponents. Assume the best of your opponent. Give him or her the benefit of a doubt. You would want the same for yourself. But if you are thick-skinned, do not assume that your opponent is. Maybe you should think of this rule as, "treat others as you would have them treat your mother."

2. Control: SOTG takes real effort.

SOTG is not just some abstract principle that everyone adopts and then games run smoothly without effort. Close calls are made in tight games. Hard fouls are committed. SOTG is about how you handle yourself under pressure: how you contain your emotionality, tame your temper, and modulate your voice. If you initiate or contribute to the unraveling of spirit, the concept falls apart quickly. If you act to mend things (or at least not exacerbate the situation) by following (1) above, the game heals itself.

3. Heckling and taunting are different.

Ultimate has a long tradition of good-natured heckling. Heckles are friendly barbs, typically from non-playing spectators. Heckling can be fun, but taunting is unspirited and wrong. Harassing remarks after an opponent's foul call or close play are NOT heckling: they are abusive taunts which create unpleasant playing conditions and often escalate to acrimonious disputes.

4. SOTG is compatible with championship play.

It is a fallacy to argue that the stakes are so important that some aspect of SOTG can be cast aside. Time and again, great teams and star players have shown that you can bring all your competitive and athletic zeal to a game without sacrificing fair play or respect for your opponent.

5. Don't "give as you got."

There is no "eye for an eye." If you are wronged, you have no right to wrong someone in return. In the extreme case where you were severely mistreated, you may bring the issue up with a captain, tournament director, or even lodge a complaint with the governing body. If you retaliate in kind, however, a complaint may be filed against you. We recall point (1): treat others as you would have them treat you, not as they have treated you. In the end, you are responsible for you.

6. Breathe.

After a hard foul, close call, or disputed play, take a step back, pause, and take a deep breath. In the heat of competition, emotions run high. By giving yourself just a bit of time and space, you will gain enough perspective to compose yourself and concentrate on the facts involved in the dispute (was she in or out; did you hit his hand or the disc; did that pick affect the play). Your restraint will induce a more restrained response from your opponent. Conflagration averted, you may resume business as usual.

7. When you do the right thing, people notice.

When you turn the other cheek, you know you've done the right thing. You may not hear praise, there may be no standing ovation, but people do notice. Eventually, their respect for you and their appreciation of the game will grow.

8. Be generous with praise.

Compliment an opponent on her good catch. Remark to a teammate that you admire his honesty in calling himself out of bounds. Look players in the eye and congratulate them when you shake their hands after a game. These small acts boost spirit greatly, a large payoff for little time and effort.

9. Impressions linger.

Not only does the realization that your actions will be remembered for a long time serve to curb poor behavior, it can also inspire better conduct. Many old-timers enjoy the experience of meeting an elite player who remembers their first rendezvous on the field and recalls the event in detail. A good first encounter with an impressionable young player can have considerable long term positive impact.

10. Have fun.

All other things being equal, games are far more fun without the antipathy. Go hard. Play fair. Have fun.
סמל אישי של המשתמש
David Barkan
Grand Prophet

הודעות: 34
הצטרף: ד' יולי 20, 2005 2:55 am
מיקום: San Francisco

SOTG vs. SPIRIT

הודעהעל ידי micki » ד' נובמבר 15, 2006 3:43 pm

:writing english here is ...well ...bad, but i will do my best
david has touched upon a subject that i have found troubeling for quite some time (just for proper disclosure sake - david and i have talked about this some in the past)
i am currently working on compiling some sort of paper on this - which i may never finish but i felt i had to stress some points here
i think what David put forth regarding SOTG is great as it really touches a few critical points (like composure
i think most everyone agrees that SOTG includes stuff like fair play, appluading your opponent when they do good and encouraging each other
i do however think that in the context of the mostly non competative atmosphere of isreali ultimate we have become somewhat confused with what it means to be spirited vs what it means to be cute/nice or universally loved
people for some reason tend to equate competitivness and "never say die" attitude with bad spirit and think that to have spirit means to cheer loud and funny and not run too fast if the guy covering you isnt up to speed since he didnt bother to practice
this is probably attributed to the fact that most of the people here that are involved with FRISBEE are not really about SPORTS but see it as a past time to have fun and socialize. ULTIMATE on the other hand is a sport and CAN be competitve if the people invoolved want it to. this might equate to the difference between jogging and runing a 10K race
due to the fact that the interface here is crappy i will not cut'npaste what i have found but rather put the links here
READ THEM. THINK. MAKE YOUR OWN MINDS

http://www.chasingplastic.com/archives/issue-pages/v2-i1/respect.htm
http://www.afda.com/trashtalk/showartic ... icleid=123
http://www.chasingplastic.com/archives/ ... spirit.htm

if anyone is interested in some more material contact me and i will send the PDF
סמל אישי של המשתמש
micki

הודעות: 73
הצטרף: א' פברואר 01, 2004 7:53 pm
מיקום: Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: SOTG vs. SPIRIT

הודעהעל ידי הדרקון הגדול » ד' נובמבר 15, 2006 5:00 pm

I do not think most of the israeli players nowadays are in at the level of
understanding "spitir" V competetive game

I think most of them need to know much more basic thecniques and have a deeper understanding of the gane before they can choose or combine these two options

As i see it, we in israel talking about much more basic things such as Not shouting on your team mates, Not lieing whether you were in or out, Honor and support your weak mates in your team and more BASIC manners that here in Israel are not kept - in the Ultimate or in the streets
הדרקון הגדול

הודעות: 206
הצטרף: ג' יולי 04, 2006 10:13 pm
מיקום: תל אביב

הודעהעל ידי David Barkan » א' נובמבר 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Great comments youg guys - the same issues are being grapledm with here in the USA as we drar up the strategic plan for UPA ultimate.

What the hell is spirit? Isn't is just great sportsmanship? How do we communicate to the world what it si without sounding like a bunch of pansies?

No answers yet, but lots of dialogue. So keep talking. One reason spirit is such a hot topic is because it is elusive, but som intriguing. You can't define it in words, but you feel it when it is happening.

Anyway, my belief is that in Israel kids and adults need to learn right away that behavior that is acceptabel in soccer or basketball justy won't play. The simple things the grand dragon lists abioove are a great start.

But make no mistake. The toughest most bad ass players and teams are some of the most sprited. They will growl in your face and throw the disc in the air when they score, but they'll treat you with respect and maybe let you know you played nice D on them. Or the teams might beat the crap out of you, but look you in the eye when you do something good, even the smallest thing.

So Micki is right, think about what feels right, make your own judgments, and experiement, because there is no right way.

Just never sacrifice playing your hardest for spirit's sake, or sacrifice your spirit to win the game

The second one is not easy!

David

סמל אישי של המשתמש
David Barkan
Grand Prophet

UFO - or please use your name

הודעהעל ידי micki » ב' נובמבר 20, 2006 3:31 pm

just for the record - i think posting in this kind of forum without identifying yourself undermines what you try to say and cripples the thread. i would ask that people who post here put their names in, especially if they are over 13 years old

Dori - since this thread is a little bit less happy go lucky i would suggest you enforce that

to the big dragon (Amit...) grow up. don't use an avatar and people will treat you seriously

Holy Man;)
סמל אישי של המשתמש
micki

הודעהעל ידי הדרקון הגדול » ב' נובמבר 20, 2006 7:33 pm

:D
Micki I think you should ignore other people's names and concentrate on the real issues
John Doe
הדרקון הגדול

הודעהעל ידי David Barkan » ב' נובמבר 20, 2006 10:10 pm

OK, boys, can we get back to the salient issue?

Namely, there is no need to make spirit and competition an either/or proposition. They co-exist and should never be played one off of the other. People who take this position have never seen them both applied to the max simultaneously and do not understand the modality.

This should always be the goal in my opinion.

Play your hardest. Play your fairest. Never say die and try never say f@ck you. And if you do, learn from it because you are really just saying it to yourself anyway.

Learn to win and learn to lose and unlearn how to think in an either/or,
win/lose, old school paradigm.

Stay topical...

David
סמל אישי של המשתמש
David Barkan
Grand Prophet

Just for the Record.....

הודעהעל ידי Dori » ב' נובמבר 20, 2006 11:29 pm

עמית ומיקי וכל מי שרואה את זה.
בפורום שלנו אנו מנסים להקפיד על שמות אמיתיים.
מצד שני זה נחמד שאפשר לשים שם כמו "הדרקון הגדול" - שזה נותן זיהוי לקבוצה ונותן למשתמש יד חופשית בבחירת הכינוי שלו (לא נכנס לכל המשמעויות הפסיכולוגיות של זה).
אנו מבקשים מכל אחד לשים בחתימה את השם האמיתי ואז אפשר להינות משני העולמות.

אז כמו שאומרים, או שתכתבו מערכת פורומים חדשה ותנהלו אותה או שתשתמשו במה שיש בלי להתלונן בכל פעם.

:wink:
Go with Your FLOW
תמונה
<<------------->>
סמל אישי של המשתמש
Dori
זורק ספין על

הודעות: 6336
הצטרף: ה' ינואר 08, 2004 10:19 am
מיקום: Tel Aviv - Israel

ohh boys boys

הודעהעל ידי itamar_r » ג' נובמבר 21, 2006 11:19 pm

I was thriled to read your opinion about spirit
as I see it spirit is much more then saying the truth about in or out, spirit of the game is a way of life that I havn`t seen in any player in israel (I mean native israeli not an import) maybe Zolo is blessed with some.

Utilmate is a community tha t life the same way of life, TOGETHER in and of the field. works together to achive a goal in life and on the field.

Basicly what that I`m trying to say is that spirit of the game is full of diffrent aspects its ok to mark hard and spike the disc after a wonderfull challhan.... but then always to have a spirit circle not for the spirit points but for realy get to know the other team mates because they are wonderfull ultimate players.

spirit of the game is to listen to no matter who even if he is young maybe he has some wisdom points to donate...

spirit of the game is everything you do as an ultimate player this is something that we have and freestylers (clowns) wish to understand! but they`ll never will.

I sick as hell got the high fiver I didn`t play for 2 weeks now and my kegs a begging to sky some one....
Itamar (yeah yeah thats my name micki!!)
If it doesn`t FLOW,
Then let it GO
itamar_r

הודעות: 113
הצטרף: ה' נובמבר 25, 2004 5:36 pm
מיקום: הרצליה

Re: ohh boys boys

הודעהעל ידי הדרקון הגדול » ד' נובמבר 22, 2006 11:14 am

But again:
1.how many people after a game come and say hello or stay to talk besides the half formal Good game greeting ?
2. How much respect we give to the youngsters ?
3. How much the teams put young or Old players in the field even in the official games ?
And there are more examples

I can tell you, not much, not much at all

I think that some of the people -really see frisbee as a sport period.
While I see it, as you see it Itamar, as part of your overall atitude to life...meaning, running after the disc - IS NOT the heart of it, not like football or basketball.
And I think that people behave on the field exactly as they behave in real life situations
הדרקון הגדול

more spirit

הודעהעל ידי David Barkan » ד' נובמבר 22, 2006 6:32 pm

As one wise ultimater player said years ago, "ultimate does not build character, it reveals it.

BTW, the ten things on spirit were from the UPA website, but I agree with all of them.

david
סמל אישי של המשתמש
David Barkan
Grand Prophet

Juniors/Prophets..Talk to me sometime

הודעהעל ידי David Barkan » ה' נובמבר 23, 2006 4:20 am

Where are you guys? Would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, questions. Check in when you can.

Peace,

David
סמל אישי של המשתמש
David Barkan
Grand Prophet

more spirit

הודעהעל ידי micki » ה' נובמבר 23, 2006 3:20 pm

Itamar/Amit
i guess we just don't agree on the spirit issue - which is just part of life. In my mind saying that SOTG has anything to do with being friends or a part of a community is funny. not sure you noticed but SOTG has the word GAME at the end - which refers to the game/sport of ultimate and not to the game of life. you might argue that optimally all ultimate players would have SOTG AND also be good spirited people in life. I can't argue with that as wishful thinking but it doesnt have anything to do with how you play the game. Being friendly, curteous, polite , interested in others lives, educators to the young, and open for other's opinions is part of being a pluralist, involved and maybe somewhat liberal human being and is well worth working on - it doesnt necessarily have anything to do with how you play. I feel that if i play a team i do not know in a tournament and play fair and hard and at the end sincerely thank them for playing and so on i am well within the SOTG. It doesnt mean for a second that i like them, care about their lives or want to be friends with them. community is a residual part of ultimate and probably stems from the cult/alternative nature of the sport in its early days.
i am not trying to say that community is bad or worthless - but it is not sport and will never be. What you are talking about sort of reminds me of the Landrover offroading community in this country which shares many of the traits you are talking about...but is far from being a sport. If ultimate is to become a large scale phenomena it will have to let go of some of the idiosycracies that were part of the sport in its infancy (like - cross dressing, smoking pot, knowing everyone in the community, winning games by beer contests and so on. this of course could still be part of culture but is very difficult to maintain at a large scale
in my personal opinion what is lacking in Israel is not the cultural aspect but rather the sport/athletic part. right now most of the people involved are old sags like me and not young studs like beau kittridge or zip or Rogel Nachum for that matter. if we want this to become more of a sport - and i know i do - we need to create the right atmosphere for attracting these people - and being liberal bleeding hart smooth talkers will not help

see you on the field
mic
סמל אישי של המשתמש
micki

טיפה נגוון

הודעהעל ידי Dori » ו' נובמבר 24, 2006 1:10 am

בשביל לשגע את הקוראים שלנו נכתוב טיפה עברית 8)

מיק, כל מה שאתה כותב הוא נכון ואתה מעלה נקודות חשובות.
בסופו של דבר ה-"מהפך" לספורט "אמיתי" כפי שאתה מייצג אותו יקח אותנו לכיוון של כדורגל, כדורסל וכו'...

האם זה מה שאנחנו רוצים?
אולי מבחינת תפוצה כן אבל אני לא הייתי מוותר כל כך מהר על הנושא של הקהילה ואורח החיים LIFE STYLE כמו שאיתמר ועמית מציגים כאן.

אני מסכים איתך שהפריסבי התחיל ממשחק חברותי ומתופעה חברתית בעבר ויש היום המון דברים שנשארו איתנו ואולי פחות מתאימים לספורט מקצועני. אגב זו גם אחת הסיבות שמעכבות בנושא של כניסה לאולימפיאדה וכו'.
אבל
האם מה שנוצר הוא כל כך רע?
האם זה רע לחשוב על כל קהילת האולטימייט בעולם כמשפחה שיש לה משהו משותף?
האם בכלל יש משהו כמו קהילת הכדורגל העולמית?
זה משהו מיוחד מאוד שאנחנו יכולים לקרוא לעצמינו קהילה (כן בתור פריסטיילר ליצן אני "מרשה" לעצמי להכיל את עצמי במשפחה הזו). יש לזה כח אדיר ביצירת נאמנות לספורט ומעבר לזה ברצון להשתפר בספורט שאוהבים ומרגישים מחוייבים אליו.

יש לי עוד המון מה לכתוב על זה אבל TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, כל נושא ה- LIFESTYLE והקוצ'י מוצ'י, כמו שאתה קורא לזה, הוא יתרון אדיר ובשום פנים ואופן לא צריך לפגוע בתחרותיות ובנראות הספורטיבית של הענף שלנו.

אני מאוד אצטער לראות בעוד כמה שנים שחקנים שאין להם שום חיבור רגשי לאולטימייט וכל מה שמעניין אותם זה רק נצחון, או לסיים את האימון וללכת הביתה ולהשאיר את הכל על המגרש.

אני אישית מאמין שהספורט שלנו מושך סוג מסויים של אנשים עם תכונות אופי מיוחדות. התכונות האלה, אני מקווה, נמצאות בקורלציה גבוהה לשאיפה לשלמות, יצירתיות, התגברות על מכשולים והיכולת לעבוד בצוות ולהבין שהבסיס של פריסבי הוא זריקה ותפיסה ושיתוף פעולה.

מעבר לזה הייתי שמח שהספורט ULTIMATE ישקף את המשמעות שלו: נשגב עילאי אולטימטיבי. בתוך זה צריך להיות גם צד פסיכולוגי ואנושי ולא רק ספורט נטו. הספורט הנשגב צריך למשוך גם אוכלוסיה מתאימה - אבל על זה נדבר שנחשוב על המיתוג של ULTIMATE.

מי קהל היעד שלנו? האם אתה רוצה בספורט עארסים חוראנים (אין כאן שום כוונה לפגוע באף אחד)עם כושר על או שגם חשובה לך האישיות?

מהניסיון שלי למדתי שהרבה מאוד שחקנים נכנסים לספורט כי הם מתאהבים בחפץ הזה שנקרא FRISBEE. עוד לא ראיתי ילד שקם ואמר אני רוצה להיות שחקן אולטימייט כמו: XXX, או לפתח קריירת אולטימייט כמו: YYY.

כדי שנהיה במקום הזה צריך המון מדיה, המון כסף, כניסה לאולימפיאדה ועוד.

מה שאני אומר הוא שאני ממש לא בטוח שהדרך שבה הספורט מתפתח היום היא פחות טובה, יש גידול אדיר ויש קהילה אקטיבית שמגדילה את עצמה ואיכפת לה שהספורט יצמח. אני לא יודע אם יש כזו תחושה בכדורסל או כדורגל.

השאלה היא האם הענפים האלה (כדורגל, כדורסל) התחילו פעם כמונו?
אם כן אז נדע לאן אנחנו הולכים ואז יהיה אפשר לקצר תהליכים. :D
נדע שלא משנה מה נעשה בסוף נסיים כמוהם...

כרגע אני חושב שאנחנו מציעים משהו שאין לאף ספורט אחר ואסור לוותר עליו, ושוב אין שום קשר בין זה לבין תחרותיות ומשחק הוגן עד לטיפה האחרונה על המגרש.

:flow:
Go with Your FLOW
תמונה
<<------------->>
סמל אישי של המשתמש
Dori
זורק ספין על

הודעות: 6336
הצטרף: ה' ינואר 08, 2004 10:19 am
מיקום: Tel Aviv - Israel

אז לא

הודעהעל ידי itamar_r » ו' נובמבר 24, 2006 1:41 am

אז זהו SOTG זהו תוצר של אולטימייט הספורט כמו שמיקי אמר וצדק, אך יש לספורט הזה הרבה מעבר למה שקורה על המגרש אבל עדיין קשור למגרש זהו קונספט מסובך וזה לא מה "שאנחנו" (מי הם האנחנו האלו????) רוצים לעשות כאן אלא מה שנבנה סביב הספורט הזה בעולם אנחנו (שוב מי זה האנחנו?!?!?!?) יכולים להצטרף להוויה הזאת בפנים ומחוץ למגרש...

אך אין ספק שמיקי צודק ואומר שקודם כל זה בא מהספורט ומהמשחק עצמו ויש שייקחו את זה אח"כ לחיים....
אך מדובר בשחקני אולטימייט שמבינים את הSOTG והלכים לפיו מה שליצנים האחרים בשוק רוצים להבין ורוצים להיות חלק ולא יוכלו ......
If it doesn`t FLOW,
Then let it GO
itamar_r

הודעות: 113
הצטרף: ה' נובמבר 25, 2004 5:36 pm
מיקום: הרצליה

הבא

חזור אל אולטימייט- שיחה חופשית

מי מחובר

משתמשים הגולשים בפורום זה: אין משתמשים רשומים ואורח אחד